The Association Of People With Disability (APD)
Rehabilitation of People with Disabilities (PwDs) by providing various key services through a Life Cycle Approach.
8 Gram Panchayats and 24 wards in town, Chitradurga district, Karnataka
- 106 children received Early Intervention (EI) services, 26 received Niramaya services, 174 applications processed, 195 people with disabilities (PwDs) received Mobility Aids, 22 received Medical support, 437 received Therapy services, 204 received Inclusive Education (IE) services, 31 young people with disabilities (YwDs) received Employment Linked Training (ELT), 111 PwDs received upskilling, 20 PwDs selected for Seed Fund Support, and 559 PwDs accessed various Social Security Schemes.
- 12 Active Community Volunteers (Mitra) helped in referrals, organizing events etc.
- Formed 7 federations (6 GP level and 1 Block level) to influence Government for 6ocial 6ecurity 6chemes and other benefits.
- 557 PwDs accessed various Social Security Schemes in Chitradurga.
- 200 linked for Niramaya services in Chitradurga.
Story of Change
Sita* is a 13-year-old blind girl studying in 7th grade at GHPS Kurabarahalli from an economically poor family. By the time she was three months old, her parents started to notice her visual disability. Her teachers were very supportive, and she was eager to learn. She needed training in orientation and mobility, Braille script, and music. After sustained interventions from APD, her attendance became regular, and she became better in her ability to move around.
Sita is also a good singer, and with the encouragement from APD staff, she got selected to participate in a Sa Re Ga Ma Pa music reality show. On World Disability Day 2022, she was honored by District Disabled Welfare officer (DDWO) for her talent and success. She hopes to get first place in the show and make everyone proud.