The Spastics Society of Tamil Nadu (SPASTN)
Provide Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) services to people with disabilities in the age group of 0 to 18+ years from economically weaker section (EWS) families.
319 Children with Disabilities
6 blocks of Tiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu
- Children received Home Based Education, Anganwadi Visits, Assessments and Evaluations, and School Visits, involving family and community participation.
- Distributed 6 pairs of goats to families in 3 blocks, 2 push carts, 1 tricycle, and a doormat weaving machine.
- 34 young adults with disabilities were also trained under the livelihood program.
- 37 students were trained in basic IT skills, with 7 of them given job opportunities.
- Renovated CBR centers at Padiyanallur and Redhills.
Story of Change
Shakthi* a 13-year-old boy, was born with Spina Bifida, a congenital defect of the spine that exposes part of the spinal cord and its meninges through a gap in the backbone. When his parents consulted with doctors at a government hospital, they were told that there was no use in keeping the child. However, after enrolling Shakthi in SPASTN, he made great progress and received physiotherapy.
Currently, Shakthi is studying in VIII grade at a government school, excelling in mathematics. He has many hobbies, including music, cricket, and other ball games, and enjoys spending time at the beach, park, and theater. He has three friends and two younger sisters who provide him with help and support. His ambition is to become a drummer.