Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement
To provide skill-based, agriculture based training programs & nurturing leadership skills among rural tribal youth who are potential change makers in their community.
B Matakere gram panchayat, Heggadadevankote Taluk in Mysuru District, Karnataka
- 19 women have graduated from the 1st batch of fashion designing course.
- 15 women are attending the 2nd batch of fashion designing course. designing course.
- 8 women have graduated from Beautician course.
- 62 dairy farmers have graduated from the dairy farming course, with the 1st batch of 32 farmers able to increase their monthly income by 50%.
- 10 students have graduated from the Spoken English, Life Skills and Basic computers course with 8 of them placed in Strides Pharma and Pai International.
Story of Change
Ravi* is a dairy farmer from a village in B Matakere Gram Panchayat in Karnataka. He had been practicing animal husbandry for 10 years without proper scientific knowledge. One day, he was approached by one of the Viveka Rural Livelihood Centre (VRLC) mobilizers and was convinced to attend a 3-day training at their center, supported by Mindtree Foundation. During the training, he learned many new aspects of dairy farming.
After the training, Ravi and his wife took out a loan using her savings from the Self - Help Group to purchase 2 cattle. At present, approximately 3 months later, he has 2 cattle and is able to collect around 13 liters of milk daily. The earnings from this are spent on agriculture and meeting the educational needs of his daughters. After a hard-fought battle, Ravi is delighted that he is now able to contribute more to his family.